Marketing and Communications Intern
- Commitment Period: 6 Months Preferred
- Hours: 15/wk: flexible (unpaid)
- Reports To: Development Associate
The mission of the Refugee Education Center (REC) is to support refugee children and families to gain the necessary skills for seamless and successful integration into the community.
Position Summary: The Marketing and Communications intern will assist the Marketing team and Development Associate in building a strong media presence on-line to build awareness and community engagement. The position will focus on representing the voices of the students and families we serve while creating calls to action.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Managing all social media posts, including Facebook, and Instagram
- Initiate a workflow in the Social Media Calendar and keep it up to date
- Organize and maintain photo library
- Work with program staff to develop interviewee list and story bank
- Update blog as needed
- Assist with other duties, as requested by Development Associate
- Bachelor’s degree in: Marketing/Branding/Communications, Public Relations, and related majors. Or currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Proactive: Ability to work with minimum supervision, and show initiative
- Project planning capabilities
- Effective communicator both written and oral
- Preferred experience in Branding
- Cultural competency and ability to work with diverse populations
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines, reliable and dependable
- Must be computer literate (working knowledge of word processing, PowerPoint, Excel). Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop desired.
- Former Experience with Social Media platforms, Photography, and WordPress (preferred)
Expected Educational Outcomes:
- Deepen understanding of the experience of refugees in the greater Grand Rapids area, including understanding of the cultural background of major refugee groups
- Develop and enhance the social media and communications skills necessary to work efficiently in today’s professional environment
- Understanding of the day-to-day operations of a small non-profit organization, including learning about Marketing strategies and communicating effectively to donor constituents.
To apply, or inquire about other Internship Opportunities, please email: Abdi@refugeeeducationcenter.org